Club Forum

On the way home from crosshills

Create a topic for your vehicle here and let everyone know what you are doing/have done to/with it !
Zedman
Full Name: Richard Bentley

On the way home from crosshills

Postby Zedman » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:43 pm

On the way home from crosshills as I hit about 40 on the first stretch of road leaving the gate I got nearly uncontrolable vibration and shaking through the stearing wheel, only thing I could do was slow down gently and it disappeared at about 20 mph.

Tried the following

Stopped at nearest garage and inflated all tyres to 32 psi
Check all steering linkages (and tightened a few lock nuts on the heavy duty steering rods.

I had during the event fitted a spare I have never used before so immediatly thought its not ballenced but the problem does not seem to be speed related, can happen at 30 but on a smooth road 50mph was fine, it was generaly set off by a rough road surface.

I can confirm the pannard rod bush is Knackered and has a lot of play, and also the vehicle pulls to the left under braking.

And suggestions to help me get this sorted would be appreciated
Jeep wrangler / Defender owner
If its not rattling its more than likely fallen off !

repton
Full Name: Paul Everett

Postby repton » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:29 pm

When that has happened to me it has always just been a big lump of mud on one of the wheels acting as an unintended balance weight. I would give the wheels a good clean on both sides of the rim before you try anything more expensive.

Paul

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:53 pm

Panhard rod bush will cause that, as will just about any wear/play in the steering. It's a "normal" side effect of the Land Rover (and most other coil sprung beam axle vehicles) front suspension arrangement.

Because it's a beam axle any vibration in one wheel will always be transferred into the other. The two wheels then begin to oscillate against each other causing ever increasing magnitudes of vibration as the forces are transferred back and forth along the axle. You get to feel the lateral oscillation through the steering wheel. In the worst cases you have to come to a complete standstill before the oscillation stops.

The oscillation can normally be controlled by the panhard rod (stops lateral movement in the axle), the steering linkages and the steering damper if fitted. It's often triggered by hitting a small bump in the road at the same speed that the wheel has a slight imbalance. Worn panhard rod bushes offer no lateral control of the axle so allow the oscillation to build up.

Start with the bits you know need sorting by fitting some SuperPro bushes to the panhard rod and make sure you get the panhard rod bolts set to FT. A 2 foot breaker bar will give you about the right torque.

Zedman
Full Name: Richard Bentley

Thanks for the advice

Postby Zedman » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:24 am

Thanks for the advice, from you description of the oscillation it sounds exactly like what I was experiencing, new bushes getting ordered today)

Oh and could you check the score for section 11 please I thought we cleaned it, I could be wrong though, I frequently am)
Last edited by Zedman on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeep wrangler / Defender owner

If its not rattling its more than likely fallen off !

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:50 am

Mine does the same, the panard was the only bush I didn't get around to so as been on the 'to do' list in order to reduce wobble!
Cheers Nick
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

Return to “Member's Vehicles”