Club Forum

Best way to Waxoyl

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
Jabba
Full Name: Dave Ladell

Best way to Waxoyl

Postby Jabba » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:44 pm

While I've got the rear cross member off, I thought I'd take advantage of the good access and clean out the chassis rails prior to giving them a good dose of waxoyl.

I've 2 concerns with this.
1. how can I make sure it's all dry in the rails before I apply waxoyl and
2. whats the best way to get it inside the rails, given that the rear cross member will be on by then.

How can I get the best all round coating inside the rails?

I've seen people recommend thinning it with white spirit and also warming it up in hot water.

Cheers, Dave

mike
Full Name: Mike Burgess

Postby mike » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:17 pm

I'm fairly sure there is a water repellant part to waxoyl so a little dampness shouldn't affect its application. However, leaving it as long as possible and in as warm and dry as possible place can only help. I took advantage of the summer weather, which might work for you in the next few weeks too.

I also washed the chassis on several successive days. Each day it looked clean, but more crap came out the next day 'get it as clean as you can' was the advice I was given....

I used a Dinitrol kit from Frost which has a cavity spray and a surface spray. It also came with a gun with a flexible hose to get into the chassis etc so there were no issues with getting the dinitrol where I wanted it (and some places I didn't) the kit also comes with a paper boiler suit and face mask to scare the neighbours.

A large tarpaulin underneath, four axle stands, wheels off, carrier bags over the brakes and an itchy trigger finger worked for me. Well, it's not perfect, but better than it was, and I've still got some Dinitrol top go over the bits I missed.

Cheers

Mike

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:58 pm

Thanks Mike. At £100 it's pretty expensive, but then I suppose it depends how much Waxoyl I'll use.

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:44 pm

You'll use a couple of gallons if you do it right .

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:35 pm

I was expecting about a gallon each of the clear and black waxoyl. I guess the dinitrol kit is 6 litres which is a bit less.

mike
Full Name: Mike Burgess

Postby mike » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:22 am

Sorry Dave, it wans't Frost, but Rejel that I bought my Dinitrol from;

The website is down at the moment, but the kit I bought was 10 or 12 cans; rust convertor, cavity wax and the underseal, plugs (which incidentally were too small to be any use) a compressor gun and extension etc for £104.70 ex VAT. so £125.75 incl. delivery. The product code was DIN01L, and I think it was for a 'large car'.

Was enough for my 90, with some left over to do the bits I missed and 'top up' in future.

Rejel - 01234 273388 - if you want to give them a call.

Cheers

Mike

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:34 am

Thanks Mike. They have an Amazon store that is running. I've not got a compressor so it'd have to be the aerosol version of their stuff for me

varleym
Full Name: Mark Varley

Postby varleym » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:05 pm

Dave

I've a compressor on wheels if you want to borrow that.

Cheers

Mark

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:48 pm

Thanks Mark. Mike has also offered but you're closer! I will probably give you a call when I get to do it as I think I'm going to use the dinitrol

Return to “Technical Info”