Club Forum

Corvette powered Defender

Create a topic for your vehicle here and let everyone know what you are doing/have done to/with it !
repton
Full Name: Paul Everett

Postby repton » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:36 am

davew wrote:If all goes well I'll put the new fuel tank in on Sunday... have to prepare my bank account for the first fill - 140 litres to fill it up !

Just think of the nectar/whatever reward points you'll get though! Plus it'll be worth every penny to avoid having to faff about with jerry cans in Oz.

Paul

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:21 am

Yep, avoiding carrying 2 jerry cans with us will be a real bonus. With the 2 jerry cans holding 40 litres, we were carrying around 120 litres last time.

At least it'll be a lot cheaper to fill up in Oz :)

pamw
Official
Full Name: Pam White

Postby pamw » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:08 am

Dave doesn't have a Nectar card and our local garage isn't in the scheme.... however, I can LEND Dave MY nectar card and make him fill up at Sainsbury's or BP in Harrogate!

Then when I go shopping next week I will collect the rewards.... hehe :wink:
Archaeology - my career in ruins !

Lardrover
Full Name: Wayne Davies

Postby Lardrover » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:31 pm

davew wrote:If you saw a red glow on the northern horizon while you were navigating your way around map 110, don't worry, it was just my motor being transported home from Andy's place...

...I did mention it was kind of red, didn't I ?

Looking good Dave, I think the competition might as well go home now:

http://www.showbus.co.uk/gallery/gpo.htm
http://www.oldstox.com/images/Rigg29.jpg

Taxi dialled, coat...?

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:13 pm

You do know I don't have to stay here to be insulted ?

The trip to Maddisons has been postponed for a few days, probably just as well as it eventually took me most of today to fit the new wheel arch thingies. I ended up having to modify the sill bars for the rear spats which wasn't too big a deal but fitting the front spats turned into a real pain of a job. They're ideal for the job and both cover the tread and open up the arches but there has to be an easier way of fitting them.

The driver's front one took the best part of 2 hours to fit, with practice I got the near side front fitted in just over an hour...

All fitted now though and I put the Simex on while I was at it to check clearance, they'll probably stay on it now until the new tyres arrive. I've taken the plunge and ordered 5 new Simex from Redpath Tyres. Figured that as I've been running second hand tyres for 3 years now it was about time !

I'll try and get some up to date pics taken tomorrow if I get the chance - off over to Maddisons with my MegaSquirt head on tomorrow to get a 4.6 V8 up and running in an Ibex so no work on my truck tomorrow as, even if the 4.6 fires up as soon as we've wired it up, there'll be a load of time spent tuning it and it's booked for an MOT on Friday.

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:29 pm

Some pics with the cage, new spats, sill bars and bumper on. Sill bars and bumper need painting still and the bumper could do with pulling a bit straighter if it will.

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Postby nicks90 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:02 pm

that looks really nice!
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

leeds
Full Name: Brendan

Postby leeds » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:57 pm

What sort of range will you have with 140 litres of fuel Dave?

Not long to go now to S day

regards

Brendan

leeds

Postby leeds » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:58 pm

What sort of range will you have with 140 litres of fuel Dave?

Not long to go now to S day

regards

Brendan

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:40 pm

It should be around 370 miles, just short of 600 Km.

Nope. not long to go now !

leeds

Postby leeds » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:29 am

Just be careful which tracks you go on Dave! Distance between fuel stations on some tracks exceed 1,000 km or about 625 miles!

I have had an extra fuel tank fitted to the 110 so will be carrying 120 litres plus 40 litres in jerry cans so should have a range of 800+ miles (assuming 5 miles per litre 22/mpg) 110 prep is coming on well. Flights booked, visa applied for, preparations and planning are going well.

Regards

Brendan

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:12 am

The OBC is organised around fuel and competitors travel in convoy along predetermined routes. Fuel stations stay open specifically for the event so we're guaranteed fuel with a maximum of 500km between fillups.

The biggest danger is using too much fuel in the special stages, hence the extra 100km range. Last time I only had 300km range in the main tank and carried two jerry cans, I only used the cans once.

When is your 110 being shipped ?

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:27 pm

Spent today welding up/modifying the additional brackets for the second pair of rear shock absorbers. Also had to drill out the mounting holes for the top brackets which turned into a real pain of a job, mainly because of the piece of 100x50x3 box section that runs inside the chassis at that point from the previous rear cross member design.

Took me longer than expected but the end result is good, just need to buy some lowered top mounts and a pair of shock absorbers to fit them. Decided I'll probably use Lovells shocks for the rear rather than Pro-Comp (my original plan). Still not convinced that the eyes on the rear Pro-Comps are heavy enough or suitably welded after I snapped the last pair I had.

Ran out of gas as I welded up the last section so will need to get another bottle on Monday. These BOC bottles with the "easy" to turn valve on the top (rather than the square key type) are a complete waste of time... I've lost more gas through it leaking than I've actually managed to use from this bottle for welding. Hope they've got an old style valve version in on Monday.

I'll take some pics tomorrow, it was too dark by the time I'd finished tonight.

Tomorrow I need to get the new fuel tank fitted and the fuel level gauge calibrated. Think I'll use water to calibrate it rather than shifting loads of petrol about in measuring jugs !

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:46 pm

Another catch up post...

Had a problem with the fuel tank, while calibrating the gauge (using water instead of petrol) I found a leak on one of the seams. So the fuel tank had to be put on hold until another visit to the ali fabricator could be sorted out. Got the gauge calibrated at least....

This Saturday yet more time was devoted to the new rear shock absorber mounts - all the 8mm holes I had painstakingly drilled were too small as, at some point Land Rover changed to M10. This wasn't helped at all by the fact that I no longer seem to possess a sharp 10mm drill bit, all I will say is that you should NEVER, EVER run 3mm box section inside a chassis leg !

For some light relief I added some more bling in the shape of a stainless "exhaust finisher" from D44. It does serve a useful purpose by stiffening up the rear panel where I cut the hole for the exhaust.. but mostly it's just bling :)

Roger "Two Sheds" came over to lend a hand in the afternoon and got the old Simex off the bead lock rims, Having 32 bolts holding the bead in place is a really good idea... undoing 160 of them half a turn at a time on the other hand isn't a 2 minute job...

We then fabricated up the spare wheel support framework which was welded to the chassis and gives a 4x2 box section to support the wheel. last job was to drop the rear winch into the cross member - this revealed that, for some reason, the exhaust had moved over a couple of inches and was now fouling the brake ratchet.

Sunday I, yet again, started with the rear shock absorber top mounts, determined to finish the job off once and for all. I was forced into buying a second pair of mounts from scrapiron racing to match the existing ones. Despite me stating specifically I didn't want the version with the axle strap mount on them, that was what they sent me anyway. Not a problem except that the extended lump fouled on the rear cross member extensions. After trying a number of things to resolve it in a civilised manner, a slitting disk in the angle grinder removed the extra lump of metal so all I had to do was bolt it up - after cutting and rethreading the M10 x 120mm bolts I had as the 100mm ones didn't quite reach through enough. Finally, they are bolted on and ready to add seom shock absorbers to !

Next job was to figure out what had happened to the exhaust. This led to a complete redesign of the rear section, cutting and welding the section running alongside the chassis a few times until it was right. Need to take Mr Angle grinder to the tail pipe though as, moving the exhaust nearer the chassis rail means it now sticks out of the side of the wing by a couple of inches. Will wait until I'm certain I'm happy with the position before I cut it though.

I fitted the old fuel tank into the load bed, nearly doing myself an injury when the fuel all ran to one end as I lifted it. Strapped it to the spare wheel carrier so it couldn't go anywhere and managed to stretch the fuel lines to reach it so I could get the vehicle mobile for Monday's visit to the Ali fabricator.

Stripped all the junk out of the cab - speakers, CB etc... and took the headlining and sun visors out so they can be cleaned.

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:06 pm

Today was officially aluminium day ! On the list to do were:

Make a cover from checker plate for the back.
Fix/reweld the leaking fuel tank
Make a bulkhead to fit between the fuel tank and the storage area.
Make a cover for the rear winch
Make a new tunnel that is wide enough for the snorkel to pass through
Make a new manifold for the engine air intake that would meet up with the 3 inch snorkel pipe.

I turned up at the fabricators nice and early (for me) after first stopping at Maddison 4x4 to pick up some parts I'd ordered. Nobody there as he'd got called out to site so back to Maddison's for a coffee to order some more spares while he got back.

Just before dinner he got back so we could make a start. A few hours later I left armed with a newly sealed fuel tank and enough folded and cut bits of aluminium to build everything I need for the moment. The only thing we didn't get done was the welding for the snorkel but he should get that done tomorrow while I'm fitting the new tunnel, bulkhead, cover etc.... fingers crossed.

Need to make a decision on the spare half shaft and CVs tomorrow, a full set of Ashcroft items is going to set me back a grand and, even with the promise they'll buy them back after the event, that's a huge amount of cash to have tied up in spares. On the other hand IF I end up breaking a shaft on the first stage, not having a spare means I possibly end up going through all this for 1 day of competition !

Return to “Member's Vehicles”