Club Forum

Brake caliper / disc to hub bolts.

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
repton
Full Name: Paul Everett

Brake caliper / disc to hub bolts.

Postby repton » Fri May 09, 2014 10:41 pm

Is there a proper name for the sort of bolts used for brake calipers and to bolt hubs to discs? I've been using a 1/2" double hex socket so far and it has worked but too much use of a normal socket with a windygun has killed it and I figure if there's a "proper" tool for the job it's probably time to get one as my impact sockets are all single hex and so don't fit.

Paul

bandiflip
Full Name: phil johnson

Postby bandiflip » Sat May 10, 2014 12:15 am

You've pretty much answered your own question there ..... They're just double hex bolts that need a double hex socket.... Never seen impact double hex sockets so looks like you're gonna have to buy either a new socket or go to a nut n bolt suppliers and match the bolts up but with single hex heads.... Simplez ;)
do you know the meaning of Nemesis ???

repton

Postby repton » Sat May 10, 2014 8:12 am

bandiflip wrote:They're just double hex bolts that need a double hex socket.

Fair enough then, I just wondered if they were some kind of 12 point Torx or something like that. If a double hex 1/2" socket is the correct tool then I'll replace my broken one and keep using that.

Paul

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Sat May 10, 2014 5:04 pm

They're actually 13mm double hex heads but a 1/2" is a slightly snugger fit , just buy a decent 12pt socket and you should be ok , cheap ones will break .
Oh and the disc to hub ones are 14mm btw unless you have ancient RRC ones which are 9/16 6 pt

repton

Postby repton » Sat May 10, 2014 7:24 pm

Matthews wrote:just buy a decent 12pt socket and you should be ok , cheap ones will break

Indeed, I have managed to break mine but it was only a cheapy from a socket set I bought when I was in my teens. I have now got a decent replacement on the way.

I had great fun today in the rain doing the driver's side front wheel bearing. Whoever did it last managed to shear off three of the five M10 drive flange to hub bolts and had simply filled the holes with silicon and stuck the heads in. So I had the joys of having to get the remains out of the holes which wasn't much fun. I'm slightly surprised that it managed driving through just two of them, no idea how long it has been like that.

It's all done and back together now though.

Paul

Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Postby Bo » Tue May 13, 2014 6:37 pm

Snap-On do 12 point impact socket but obviously you pay the price.
Or use Franklin http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Franklin-1-2- ... 3ce113aafa for considerably less.
5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

Return to “Technical Info”