Club Forum

Series radiators.

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
repton
Full Name: Paul Everett

Series radiators.

Postby repton » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:32 am

Afternoon all,

Connor's 1967 S2a needs a new radiator as the existing one leaks like a sieve. Looking around at what is available it seems that anything up to about 1969 has a radiator with the bottom hose coming out at 90 degrees to the radiator (i.e. pointing towards the back of the vehicle) but after that (including all series 3 models) the bottom outlet has a bend in it leaving it pointing towards the driver's side front wheel.

The existing one is of the former type but all the replacements I can find online seem to be of the latter type. Does anyone know if the engine blocks are the same meaning we can use a later S2a/S3 radiator on an earlier S2a as long as we use the later top and bottom hoses to go with it?

Alternatively does anyone have one of the earlier type in good condition they want to sell?

TIA,
Paul

Rod
Full Name: tony

Postby Rod » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:04 pm

If the frame is ok you could always get your existing one rebuilt. Ive had them rebuilt before now (long time ago)
Rod
Stercus fit !

repton

Postby repton » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:13 pm

Rod wrote:If the frame is ok you could always get your existing one rebuilt. Ive had them rebuilt before now (long time ago)

We did consider that but both the top and bottom are in quite a state and have been (badly) repaired in the past so I think it's a bit past the point of recoring it.

Paul

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:34 pm

It's a looooong time since I played with Series motors but as far as I can remember the 2.25 engine was pretty much the same externally right the way through Series 2/2A/3. There were some changes internally.

It's possible the thermostat housing and/or water pump were different but I'd have though the worst case would be that you'd need to modify some pipes - it's not that difficult. I hooked my Series 3 rad up to a V8 for a while with a couple of "modified" Range Rover top hoses that I happened to have !

Graeme C.
Full Name: Graeme Christie

Postby Graeme C. » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:27 pm

Series engines from 1961 are pretty much the same, so a later type radiator with new hoses will be ok. My series had a series 2 engine with a series 3 radiator with no problems.
Nothing is impossible with the right attitude and a big hammer.

repton

Postby repton » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:24 am

Thanks for the replies, it looks like going with an S3 rad+hoses is the way to go then.

Paul

mpblandrover
Full Name: Matt Boothroyd

Postby mpblandrover » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:01 am

All available from MPB LAND ROVER. Quality radiator £100 brand new. 01535 661203

Return to “Technical Info”