Club Forum

Rebuilding Pam's 90

Create a topic for your vehicle here and let everyone know what you are doing/have done to/with it !
tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:00 am

Well I still like the colour of nick's 90, oh sorry colours. Helps out at touch up time :lol:

Looks great so far guys

Cheers Nick
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:45 pm

Kind of "as predicted" my earlier post regarding the dashboard being fitted for the last time came back to bite me this weekend !

I decided to sort out the last remaining bits of the vehicle electrics with the intention that by next weekend the vehicle itself with all it's lights, dashboard etc... will be done with just the engine electrics to finalise.

I've decided to use the Land Rover alarm and central locking ECU as this greatly simplifies the central locking and remote access aspects of the wiring. I bought an ECU off Ebay together with some new fobs (having first checked that they were compatible part numbers) and there was even a very cheap volumetric sensor on there. I'll back the LR alarm up with the Clifford system. This decision means that all the central locking and remote access will work "out of the box" with all the niceties of interior light control that come as standard with the LR setup.

The heated front screen is one of the two major features that aren't built into the main loom already, the other being the aircon. I decided to follow the LR wiring as closely as possible, effectively retro fitting the wiring into the harness and using an old harness to provide the required bits for the relay base, the timer unit base, the fuse connectors and the connector for the back of the switch. As well as taking the dashboard apart again this also meant pulling back the harness to the underseat fuse box so I could insert the extra power feed wire. It took a while but it got there in the end !

In between wiring jobs I took the occasional break and fitted some random bits and pieces like the fuel filler pipework, some of the back body strengthening pieces and the front brake flexi pipes.

Hopefully I'll start to get the engine harness put together during the evenings this week. I'm building a custom harness that will encompass all the requirements for Megasquirt and EDIS, the LPG system and the various sensors and components that feed back to the main harness such as coolant sensor, oil pressure light, speedo signal and so on. I'm starting with a TD5 engine harness that will provide the connectors into the main loom, stripping out the unused bits and adding in the extras... the sitting room floor may look a bit messy for a few days as I lay it all out prior to wrapping the loom.

I still need to decide on the connections to the rear harness as the new one I bought has one multi-plug that's different to the bulkhead loom. If I can't find a compatible plug I can splice onto one end or the other I'll probably end up using a spare wing connector plug and socket as I can sacrifice a spare wing loom for that. If anyone has a spare rear loom from a TD5, let me know !

No pics as there's not really anything new to see apart from the odd relay here and there....

Lardrover
Full Name: Wayne Davies

Postby Lardrover » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:09 pm

davew wrote:In between wiring jobs I took the occasional break...

I'm glad you did, I needed to call in for a hot coffee, my hands were frozen to the steering wheel.

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:06 pm

To make a pleasant change from wiring and to free up the engine hoist so Roger could borrow it, Saturday was devoted to fitting the LPG tank into the rear tub. I'd decided to replace the old rear mat with a new one as the old one had huge holes cut in it as it was fitted after the LPG tank last time.

This time I kept the mat in one piece, mounting the tank cradle on top of it which meant the whole tank assembly had to be positioned, holes marked, removed, put back in etc... all in all around 5 times so that pretty much ate up all of Saturday. The end result looks good though, it's not going anywhere and, hopefully, this time I've mounted the cradle in such a way that it should keep the galvanic corrosion at bay.

Sunday I ran in the pipework for the LPG system as a means of avoiding the inevitable and being forced to face up to the work on the wiring that still needs doing ! I ran in the main power cables from the battery to the underseat fuse box and the starter motor and the main earth cable to the chassis. As another diversion I was going to fit the windscreen frame but then realised I didn't have the plastic shim things that the hinges mount on. I did get the sealing strip on though and once that was stuck in place I coated the area behind the seal with Dinitrol to stop moisture getting in through the seam.

During the week I've spent a few evenings building the loom for the fuel injection and LPG system, based on a TD5 engine harness which links into the main harness. This afternoon I had a trial fit of the resulting harness so I could make sure all the cables reached the right place and could trim the wires down ready to put the connectors on them. First fit looked pretty good so if all the outstanding bits and pieces arrive this week, such as the alarm ECU that I bought 2 weeks ago, there's a very good chance that I'll get the engine fired up over the holiday period.

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:38 pm

Now the festivities are out of the way I've run out of excuses and have my nose firmly planted against the grind stone as far as Pam's 90 is concerned.

The last couple of days have been spent in a vaguely haphazard way, taking in random jobs that contribute to getting the engine running. I ended up removing the throttle assembly off the side of the old plenum chamber so that the throttle cable and kick down cable would reach properly. A side effect of which is that the extra air valve that I'd fitted to the engine to aid cold starting/idle had to be removed so that'll no doubt come back to haunt me at a later date.

I started to seal up some of the more obvious "holes" in the engine such as the air intake. I don't really want to keep the, now unused, air flow meter in the engine bay so set about fabricating an adaptor that would match up to the existing pipework, replacing the AFM and providing a mounting for the inlet air temperature sensor that is used to calculate air density.

A spare piece of 2.5 inch stainless pipe provided the basis for it and after a bit of welding/drilling/tapping/cutting I came up with something that does the job quite nicely...

The heater cable controls were hooked up while I was in the area too. Next up was the fuel pipes which, although already in place, needed clips adding at the various joints. While I had the pipes off at the fuel rail I fitted the heat resistant sleeving I'd bought for the job a while ago. This protects the pipes where it passes near the exhaust manifolds.

I trimmed the engine loom wires to length while it was laid in position on the engine. The oil pressure switch wire was too short by a couple of inches but all the rest of the wires could be cut back to length ready for the connectors to be added. With this done i removed the harness and it's now resident in the dining room ready for a session with the soldering iron and a pile of connectors !

I'd already run in the wires for the heated front windscreen but hadn't actually connected them to the various relays and switches involved so that was the next job. With that done the only wiring i could think of that was still required on the bulkhead was the air con.

The air con unit itself comes with it's own loom and seems to be pretty much self contained with just a single plug in the center that connects it to the vehicle electrics. I'd expected that hooking up the electrics for this would be a bit like the front windscreen - lots of time spent looking at the way LR did it and mimicing their wiring as closely as possible. As it turned out though, the wiring for the air con is already built into the bulkhead loom with the connector hidden away behind the passenger compartment fuse panel. That was a real bonus although it will mean I need to make some changes to the engine harness to incorporate the condensor fan and compressor clutch.

So, with all the main harness electrics sorted it was finally time to hook the battery up and see what happened. Lucas the Prince of Darkness smiled down on me as, even with all the modifications to the wiring, the smoke stayed firmly inside the wires and everything that could work, did. Once again I bolted/screwed the dashboard back together again for the last time... although it's a fair bet it won't be the last, last time :)

There's still some wiring work to do for the chassis harness with it's mismatched connector but that should be solved by sacrificing a r/h wing loom which happens to use the same connector. I'll essentially convert the chassis harness over to match the bulkhead harness connectors. With that done and once I've finished the engine harness off it should be about done on the electrics front.

Brake pipes and fuel tank breather pipe are on the list for tomorrow.

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:29 pm

Another update as I haven't done one for a while :)

The fuel tank breather is finally sorted, i had to jack the rear body up to get into it but I felt a lot happier that I'd done the job properly rather than joining pipes together to complete it (the existing vent pipe had been chopped off about 4 inches short so I could have joined it rather than replaced it).

The wing harness I bought on Ebay for the plug arrived... he sent the near side harness instead of the off side. Not having much luck with Ebay at the moment !

On the plus side I made up all the new brake pipes and necessary brackets, it took over a days work, in part because I moved the flexi pipes behind the axle rather than in front. This modification gives better clearance for the flexi pipes but meant a lot of fabrication work. None of this was helped by the brand new brake flaring tool from Frost's failing after about 6 flares. Fortunately my old professional vice mount one is still going strong !

With the pipes in place and the system bled that was another of the "pre start" jobs ticked off.

The engine loom took another 20 hours or so to almost finish off but finally it's ready to be installed and hooked up to the main harness. If I've got it right it'll hook straight in and the engine will be ready to run, if I've got it wrong I can see another 20 hours spent on it :)

I've modified the Megasquirt ECU so that's ready to go with dual fuel and spark map switching so it will kill the fuel injection and advance the timing when the LPG is switched in.

I had to change the alternator on the 90 shortly before I dismantled it and shoehorned in a spare alternator off the shelf that did the job but didn't really fit. Rather than paying for a new one I decided I'd make up a mount for the same alternator that's on my LS1 as it's a very good alternator, comparatively cheap to buy new and I always have a spare. It took a while to make up a mounting bracket for it but the end product looks good although it might need to be "tweaked" a bit.

Other random jobs completed included fitting the windscreen frame, the bulkhead closing panel, gear change cable, gearbox reverse/immobiliser switch, a selection of engine/bulkhead/chassis earthing cables and the vent flaps.

Next job is to get the engine harness installed and see how much work is left to get it fired up.

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:36 pm

I braved the cold today and fitted the engine harness into position and started connecting it up to the main harness. Had to modify the loom tape in some places to make it fit - one of the penalties of taping it up on the floor. Had to make some modifications to the way the main relay is triggered as the TD5 uses the ECU to earth the relay when the ignition is switched on and I need it to power up with the ignition. I managed to arrange it so that the inertia switch is still in circuit so in the case of a major shunt both fuel systems and the ignition will be turned off.

Connected up some of the other cables that the TD5 ECU normally connects from the engine to the bulkhead like the coolant sensor for the temp gauge. Tested as many of the circuits as I could think of including the fuel pump trigger, battery light, oil light and so on. I wired out the alarm/immobiliser circuits and tested the starter circuit, cranked over no problem.

Tomorrow I'll hook up the power, HT leads and the VR sensor and see what's left to do to fire the engine up on petrol.

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Postby TwoSheds » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:53 am

Bbrrrr - Well done that man! Impressive that you are still getting out there :shock:

My RR is still covered in six inches of snow and I am not moving until it does...

Although I could be doing some welding, I am still waiting for a delivery from Paddocks before I can start the re-assembly. That's my excuse and I am sticking to it!

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:35 pm

Another day gone and another step forward.

By recent standards today was positively tropical, I'm pretty sure it must have got above 0 at some points in the day as some of the snow on the house roof has started melting, dripping ice cold water on anyone foolish enough to venture out of our front door !

Anyway, yet more wiring today, starting off with the outstanding items from the engine linking in the power supplies and the alarm immobiliser circuits. By dinnertime it was ready to try and start so I rigged up the fuel pump in the old furl tank to pump and filter some fuel into the new tank.

Disappointingly the addition of fuel wasn't enough to get it started, in fact it wasn't even thinking about firing. Put the battery on charge and wired up the heater fan controls while I waited. Tried again but to no avail.

Spent the next couple of hours messing around with paint on the crank pulley trying to check spark positions for all 4 coils with no real joy as everything appeared to be OK. Came in for some tea and brought the Megasquirt ECU in to review the settings. I found a couple of odd settings so reloaded a map file from 2005 when I was running the engine in Australia.

Having made some adjustments and allowed the battery to charge for a couple of hours we ventured back out again after tea to give it another go. A few coughs and splutters later and it burst into life :)

It didn't exactly purr and it was too noisy to run for more than a few seconds as it was after 8pm and there is a hole where the lambda sensor should be. The important thing though was that it ran, revved freely and sounded sweet :)

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:34 pm

After starting the motor last weekend I wanted to spend some time playing with the fuelling and checking the ignition system was working OK I had to hook up and fill the coolant system first as well as the power steering system. After a couple of hours playing I had it running sweet, ticking over happily with a clean exhaust and revving without any hesitation. I think it's still a bit rich but it's close enough for now until I get the new lambda sensor plugged in.

I spent some time measuring the front door gaps as I've been a bit concerned that the bulkhead is as far forward as it will go but the sills don't seem to fit. After consulting the workshop manual for the recommended door gaps and measuring one of the doors I knew the recommended distance between the back body and bulkhead.

It seems that the later back bodies are slightly longer than the earlier ones, presumably to squeeze the filler in. As a result they've done away with the rear cross member tabs and now use an angle iron affair that lets the back body overhang the cross member slightly. The only real solution was to lift the back body over the tabs, while this resolved the spacing issue it has meant that the paintwork will need tarting up at the back as it's been scratched by the tabs.

With the back body now in the correct position I set about refitting the assorted bracing and strengthening brackets to it as well as the strengthening bar.

I spent Sunday trying to finish off an assortment of odd jobs that I've been putting off. I clipped the brake pipes to the bulkhead, blanked off the clutch and various other unneeded holes in the bulkhead and mounted the EDIS unit.

I mounted the LPG vapouriser unit and hooked up the supply pipe to it before clipping the supply pipe to the bulkhead and chassis all the way back to the LPG tank. Whilst I was crawling around on the floor I finally got around to clipping the brake pipes to the rear axle and fitting the breather pipe.

there's not a lot left to do now ahead of the bulkhead, I'm hoping the sacrificial wing loom will arrive this week and allow me to finish off the wiring to the rear. With that done and the LPG vapouriser hooked up to the coolant system I think it'll be ready for the front wings to go on.

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:02 pm

No sign of the sacrificial wing loom, some ebay sellers make you want to bang your head against a brick wall. I order something for my iPhone and it's shipped from the US and arrives in 3 days but getting a wing loom shipped from Newark... 5 weeks and counting.

First job of the weekend was to hook the LPG vapouriser up to the heater pipes. After much pontificating I've decided not to go with T pieces but, instead put the vapouriser in series with the heater rad. Time will tell how that works out but it reduces the number of joints which can't be a bad thing. This took a while as routing the pipes to stop them creasing in the bends took some figuring out and a lot of trial and error. After topping the coolant back up I fired the engined and checked for leaks - nothing obvious so that's all good.

If you've read this far it'll come as no surprise that yet more wiring was on the cards. I made up a loom for the fans and hooked it into the main engine loom. I installed the Clifford immobiliser, hooking it into both fuel systems, wired in the relays for the cooling fans. I made up a loom for the LPG tank and hooked up the tank and vapouriser solenoids. I'm not convinced the LPG ECU is working correctly as it doesn't seem to be trying to switch over so I'll have to get it hooked up to the computer and try and figure out what's wrong with it.

Lots of bits and pieces done with not much visible change but it's starting to get to the point where I'm running out of "infrastructure" jobs and should be looking at starting to bolt the bodywork on which will be a bit of a boost as you can see progress when you start putting bits of bodywork on.

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:12 pm

Postman has just been... the sacrificial wing loom has finally arrived !

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Postby TwoSheds » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:50 pm

davew wrote:Postman has just been... the sacrificial wing loom has finally arrived !

yippee!

Rod
Full Name: tony

Postby Rod » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:34 pm

Im not going to say any thing Dave
Stercus fit !

Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Postby Bo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:00 pm

When do we get to sacrifice it?
Do we have to wear hoods?
5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

Return to “Member's Vehicles”