Club Forum

Roger's RRC: An update

Create a topic for your vehicle here and let everyone know what you are doing/have done to/with it !
bandiflip
Full Name: phil johnson

Postby bandiflip » Mon May 04, 2009 10:29 am

Lets just hope nobody from health and safety reads all this...lol.
Come on Roger get a move on now...I need to trial against another LWB motor,If youre struggling for motorvation do what i do,look on youtube at people off roading it gets me thinking about what i'm missing and how much i can be better than them...So go on......get it done...
P.S...the brake pipe gag still makes me chuckle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
do you know the meaning of Nemesis ???

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Mon May 04, 2009 12:44 pm

Keep going Roger !

I sometimes think it's harder to keep going when you don't have a target. For me I normally have a competition on the horizon that I have to get the job done by and that normally provides me with the motivation to get on and do it rather than doing what I tend to do otherwise - spend too long thinking about it.

It's better to set a series of smaller goals than one big one and, if I were you, I'd compile a list of everything that needs to be done and then organise the list into a series of priorities. The first priority should be to get thing back on the road so you can get some benefit and inspiration as soon as possible.

For a road going motor I normally split the list into three priorities...
Must have
Should really have
Would be nice if I have time

That way you spend less time faffing with none essential things and getting distracted by fitting a new interior light when the axle is still hanging off.

Everyone goes through low and high points when building motors, just try and keep focussed, avoid distractions and it'll all come good in the end.

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Postby TwoSheds » Wed May 06, 2009 7:48 am

Thanks for the encouragement chaps - when it stops raining I'll let you know if it worked ;)

Jobs list (before MoT) is now:

fit front discs
refurbish front calipers (good clean and new pistons)
fit front flexy brake pipes
make/fit front cunifer pipes (4)
finish welding NS sill
fit NSF wing
get the wing-repeater working
fit the NSF sidelight assy
fit the passenger seat
replace track-rod (with that from the Disco)
replace UJs on rear propshaft
fit rear propshaft
fit front and rear brake pads
bleed brakes

TwoSheds

How should I spend this money..

Postby TwoSheds » Sat May 09, 2009 10:23 am

As the final remains of my bonus are whittled away I find myself with £150 allocated to the 'fun' pile which I have not so far spent. So the question is - what should I spend it on?

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Postby nicks90 » Sat May 09, 2009 3:59 pm

stereo and some decent speakers to mask all the squeaks and rattles that will otherwise drive you crackers :roll:
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Sun May 10, 2009 6:56 am

nicks90 wrote:stereo and some decent speakers to mask all the squeaks and rattles that will otherwise drive you crackers :roll:
Ahh, perhaps you are referring to "The Horror B-Movie Syndrome" coined by Ted Simon in "Jupiter's Travels" where every innocent rattle is taken to be a prelude to disaster? Well Nick, it's a Range Rover and I have been working on it for four years, so it will have no squeaks or rattles ;) :D

A Stereo though, nice idea. I could get one that would play from my MP3 player for that price. :) But with very little interior trim left in the thing I might have to wear ear-plugs on long journeys (I am enthusiastic about protecting what hearing I have left), and the big question is:Would I be able to appreciate the quality? Doubtful – but still I am looking at car audio so the idea has obviously taken root... :)

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Sun May 10, 2009 9:38 pm

Ted Simon, that takes me back !

Triumph Trident wasn't it ? I read that book just after I got my first bike and always wanted to do something similar but somehow never quite got the bike/money/time together at the same time !

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Mon May 11, 2009 5:51 am

davew wrote:Ted Simon, that takes me back !

Triumph Trident wasn't it ? I read that book just after I got my first bike and always wanted to do something similar but somehow never quite got the bike/money/time together at the same time !

The Trident was a beautiful 750 triple, Ted Simon went around the world (in four years!) on a more cooking Triumph Tiger 500 twin. I read it nearly thirty years ago and two years later I rode my motorcycle to Egypt and back. I was intending to go down Africa but a combination of political, financial and personal problems made us turn back there. It was still a great trip though. :)

I am thinking parts washer at the moment...

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Sun May 17, 2009 2:46 pm

It gets wusserer and wusserer. A couple of extra things to add to the list after today's investigations:

The steering box has play and a damaged drop arm so that the ball joint boot won't stay put. (I am replacing the whole lot with the one from the Disco)

The chrome-ball pivots are notchy (couldn't tell until the drag link and track rod were removed).

It has started to rain now so I'm going to watch the bike racing...

Rog

Oh - on the plus side the heavy duty steering bars have arrived and are excellent! I am really pleased with the quality.

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Mon May 18, 2009 8:45 pm

Good news and bad news:
Tonight (among other things) I slackened off the top bearing pivot nuts and found that the chrome balls move as smooth as a smooth thing. That's good.
But after having a proper look a my balls, I definitely need a new one on the offside. That's bad. The NS one is ok though so that's good. The wheel bearings all seem ok so they can go back in.

All mechanical from here... Helmsley here I come.

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Mon May 18, 2009 9:27 pm

TwoSheds wrote:But after having a proper look a my balls, I definitely need a new one on the offside.

You should spend more time working on your RRC...

I'll get me coat.

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:17 am

One ball replaced, discs replaced, hubs re-assembled, HD track-rod fitted (anyone got any tracking gear that I could borrow?) :)

Yesterday I started on the front callipers - after a couple of hours cleaning them (how do some people do it so fast?) I finally decided that the corrosion - especially around the wiper-seal seats was just too bad to get them fitted properly and so - yet more expense, I have ordered a couple of callipers. The more I see of these brake the more I think that their full removal and strip down should be regarded as a yearly or even six-monthly maintenance task...

Today I will be trying to weedle out the steering box without removing too much other stuff - biggest problem at the moment is that I can't get anything on the pipe unions to undo them. I might take a trip to the toy shop this morning and see if they have the automotive equivalent of bath-tap spanners if you know what I mean...

TTFN :)

Rod
Full Name: tony

Postby Rod » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:22 pm

Iv'e got a set of these that work quite well in tight spaces. http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/3-8-Square-Drive-8-Piece-Crow-Foot-Spanner-Set-61034-Draper-D-CRF8.
But the key to getting the steel pipes off the steering box is to take the rear one off first, you can then get a normal spanner on the front one.
Wire brush them first then leave them to soak in pen oil.
Bo on Rods logon.
Stercus fit !

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:15 pm

Rod wrote:Iv'e got a set of these that work quite well in tight spaces. http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/3-8-Square-Drive-8-Piece-Crow-Foot-Spanner-Set-61034-Draper-D-CRF8.
But the key to getting the steel pipes off the steering box is to take the rear one off first, you can then get a normal spanner on the front one.
Wire brush them first then leave them to soak in pen oil.
Bo on Rods logon.

Those are the babies - thanks for that!

TwoSheds

While you were out enjoying yourself..

Postby TwoSheds » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:40 pm

This weekend I have re-fitted the hoses, filled the radiator, changed the engine oil and filter, the gearbox, transfer box and power steering fluids and the diff oils (I love the smell of hypoid in the morning. It smells like... Land Rover! )
I have to say that - after years of playing around with cr@p drain tanks like this:

which invariably split or wear out due to sliding on concrete, and aren't big enough and can't cope with windy days when your stream blows around, and leak and end up with oil all over the outside which needs wiping up... I finally bought one of these:

and it is brilliant! It's tough, big, easy to handle, creates no mess and hangs up on the garage wall after use. If you don't have one already - get one! :D

The other thing that made life a LOT easier yesterday, was a Hozelok 5 litre pressure sprayer. I bought this about 5 years ago when I decided to impress my then GF by killing all the weeds, since she left my policy towards weeds is more of a live and let live one and the sprayer has stood behind the bins, slowly turning green and being claimed by it's intended victims..
Anyway - faced with trying to get 2.7litres of ATF uphill into a 20mm dia hole I remembered hearing about someone using one of these and so I dug it out, along with the 'hanging basket attachment' which has been languishing at the back of the shed in case I ever got a hanging basket.. (yeah, right..)
Well - I don't know if the ATF will attack the pump or body of the sprayer but the experience of just lying there gently filling the box and releasing the valve when it was full was almost relaxing! :)

I think that the sprayer things are around £20 - which is a lot to throw away if the fluid does attack it, and I wouldn't have done it if the thing hadn't been going to waste, but you know - I think it may even be worth buying one just for the job it was that good. :D

Next - the master cylinder and servo :)

Return to “Member's Vehicles”