Club Forum

No its not broken its just an ongoing resoration project )

Create a topic for your vehicle here and let everyone know what you are doing/have done to/with it !
davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:18 am

You can weld stainless with a MIG using normal mild steel wire/gas, you don't need anything special for it for something like an exhaust. The weld pool fuses with the stainless anyway and seems to become "stainless" itself, resisting rust.

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Postby TwoSheds » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:56 am

davew wrote:You can weld stainless with a MIG using normal mild steel wire/gas, you don't need anything special for it for something like an exhaust. The weld pool fuses with the stainless anyway and seems to become "stainless" itself, resisting rust.

I did mine with gas-less mig and it's still in one piece three years later, although at the time I was not confident in welding SS like this so I layered a bit on just in case :D
I even managed to get it gas tight by using leak detector and a rag up the outlet and puddling the little blow holes.
I probably wouldn't be happy welding anything that is stressed in this manner, but the last few inches if pipe is fine - especially if it is out of sight ;)

kingsonlim
Full Name: Kingson Lim

Postby kingsonlim » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:46 am

getting the stainless wire and gas as I would like to make a water tank to fit in the 110. As the tank will be for drinking water, wouldn't want it to rust.

Richard.....you are welcome to use my MIG anytime...I only have the mild steel wires at the moment tho..

Zedman
Full Name: Richard Bentley

You learn something new every day

Postby Zedman » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:49 pm

You learn something new every day, thanks for the info and offers of help, but armed with the idea that stainless can be welded like normal steel and that fact I just needed to add a cosmetic / rounded edge to the end of the exhaust pipe I fired up the old arc welder and 'the jobs sorted'
Jeep wrangler / Defender owner
If its not rattling its more than likely fallen off !

Zedman
Full Name: Richard Bentley

What colour is my paint )

Postby Zedman » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:51 pm

The back end has now been re-wired, I have thrown away god know how much wiring loom and replaced it with 1 single length of 7 core, new lights installed / repositioned etc, blanking plates made to cover old holes, but since its Q plate and no VIN number I am struggling to get a paint code.

Most of you have seen my Defender an the last trial can anyone in the know please take a guess at the paint code and suggest a place to buy spray and brush on paint ))
Jeep wrangler / Defender owner

If its not rattling its more than likely fallen off !

Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Postby Bo » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:46 pm

A decent paint shop or supplier should have a photospectrometer and be able to match it by scanning a section of your existing paint.
5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

Return to “Member's Vehicles”