Club Forum

No its not broken its just an ongoing resoration project )

Create a topic for your vehicle here and let everyone know what you are doing/have done to/with it !
bandiflip
Full Name: phil johnson

Postby bandiflip » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:13 pm

AND BREATHE......................................
do you know the meaning of Nemesis ???

Zedman
Full Name: Richard Bentley

Sooo

Postby Zedman » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:58 pm

I sort of wished I hadn't asked but had to anyway.

I now ride around looking at Landies rather than Jeeps (so many about if you actually look for them).

What promted the question was Disco's and Range Rovers dont look that different.

What was missing from your very imformatite post Dave was your opinion on which does what best.

First off what is the best landy engine, and before anyone says anything I know there is not a single best engine (or is there) so i will throw in a few limitations ( I cant spell prameteres)
1. Diesel, more water resistent, and more fuel effiecient £ per mile or so I understood (never ever had a diesel b4)
2.I like simple so if electronics have to be serviced by a dealer its a no go.
3. Usefull amount of power, not a power freak jus need enought to get the job done.
4. Reliable
5. Cheap to service
6. I Once tried a mates V8 and the clutch pedal needed insane leg muscles, was this a one off or are all Landies like this or just the V8 petrols ?

Chassis, suspension, drive train, erm lets keep it simple to start with, how do they score off the shelf and modified within modest budget.
Jeep wrangler / Defender owner
If its not rattling its more than likely fallen off !

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Re: Sooo

Postby TwoSheds » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:05 am

Zedman wrote:What was missing from your very imformatite post Dave was your opinion on which does what best

The disco has more space in the back - everything else is about the same except for welding where the RRC comes apart easier for access to the rear wheel arches. Oh and the RRC has a lower CoG due to the Disco having a steel roof but I would think that is marginal to say the least. That's about all I can think of.

In terms of engine - I have reverted to petrol after a brief and disastrous flirtation with the dark side - I found that I just couldn't diagnose the diesel whereas I usually can with petrol. And with MegaJolt the V8 is completely impervious to water. And with LPG it doesn't cost too much (although the tank takes up space). I have nothing against diesels you understand - it's just that I prefer petrol.

Re the clutch - my old 200tdi Disco felt just the same as the V8 - heavier than modern cars sure, but liveable. As I said earlier though - if I was starting over I would go for an auto.

Zedman wrote:Chassis, suspension, drive train, erm lets keep it simple to start with, how do they score off the shelf and modified within modest budget.
Much of a muchness really. The same component and kits will normally fit both. About the only difference I have found is offroad ("heavy duty") bumpers - some are the same but for example Guardian make a different shape for each of them due to the RRC having a squarer front.
In terms of how they score against other LR products - I think that has already been covered. With bigger tyres, a bit of a body lift, offroad bumpers and some protection for the fuel tank the arse-dragging doesn't seem to be too much of a problem (well not to me anyway).

HTH
Roger

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Postby nicks90 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:54 am

for simplicities sake you cannot get much simpler than a tdi - 200 or 300, they;re both very very simillar.
mechanical fuel pump, mechanical injection pump, mechanical everything. The only thing preventing you starting the engine and then taking the battery off and having the engine still happily running away to itself is the electric stop solenoid on the injection pump and your alternator might not like it. So its pretty water proof as there are virtually no electrics :lol:

30mpg is easily achievable, service it regularly and will do galactic mileages and they will happily chug along at normal road speeds - although the auto in a tdi is horribly slow. But thats what you get for sticking a porridge box behind a perfectly good engine. They can very easily be tweaked by adjusting the fueling for more power. Matthew can give you hints on that one.

as for what does what best and drive train - they;re all pretty much the same underneath across the whole rangie/disco/defender range. 200tdi engines share the same lt77 gearbox and 10 spline diffs/axles. 300tdi engines share the same R380 gearbox and 24 spline diffs/axles.
Most oily parts are interchangeable, although landrovers insistance on mixing inperial and metric bolts etc will drive you absolutely mad if you drive a vehicle built near a cross over year (mines a 1995 300tdi, but half the shock turret mounting ring bolts were metric, the other half were imperial...) There are some differences, but really not many, certainly not enough to make any real difference.

whatever you get, just make sure its not a rust bucket.
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

Jabba
Full Name: Dave Ladell

Re: Just fixed another leak on the Jeep

Postby Jabba » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:57 pm

Zedman wrote:Hoping to make it down saturday for some chatting etc while ther is no rush to compete, not sure if I dare turn up in the Skoda )

Richard, if you don't mind spending the whole day there, I could pick you up on the way down. Mark and I are getting there at 10 to help set out.

madcalc
Full Name: david medd

Postby madcalc » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:36 pm

2 posh versions of the 300tdi, XS Aiir con, twin sun roofs posh seats half leather etc.ES full leather, electric sunroofs, seats etc. More to go wrong! Mine has drounded the 12 cd player and disconected the air con. No point in going posh if your going to off-road!
If you want posh seats go to 4 plus 4 they have some 2nd hand leather disco2 seats going cheap :shock:
If I can't fix it, I bodge it!

Rod
Full Name: tony

Postby Rod » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:22 pm

Leather seats are easey to clean the mud off with the hose pipe
Stercus fit !

bandiflip
Full Name: phil johnson

Postby bandiflip » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:39 pm

Are we trying to beat Rogers page count here??..Already on 5 and he hasnt even bought anything yet !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
do you know the meaning of Nemesis ???

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:19 am

I'm no expert as you all know, but the difference between RRC and disco seems to be rust, the discos are rot boxes made to a price and RRC seem to have been built better. Not sure just a guess.

Anyway, it doesnt matter coz you will end up with a 200/300tdi in the end 8)

Cheers Nick
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:42 pm

Tecnick wrote:RRC seem to have been built better

R-O-F-L-M-A-O :D :D :D

Have you SEEN the amount of welding on mine?

From personal experience - my 90 RRC was FAR worse than my 91 disco for rust - I think it's just luck of the draw whether one rusts or not, but it's knowledge that stops you buying a rusty one - knowledge I didn't have when I bought the RRC.

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:11 pm

Ok I said I might be wrong but what the hell is

R-O-F-L-M-A-O I dont understand your banter squadron leader

Cheers Nick
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

Rod
Full Name: tony

Postby Rod » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:26 pm

Its not often I will say this but I do agree with Nick
What The F- -k is R-O-F-L-M-A-O
Why do people just type the letters is it because like me they can not spell
Stercus fit !

Jabba
Full Name: Dave Ladell

Postby Jabba » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:28 pm

Rolling
On
Floor
Laughing
My
Arse
Off

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:33 pm

Rod wrote:Its not often I will say this but I do agree with Nick
What The F- -k is R-O-F-L-M-A-O
Why do people just type the letters is it because like me they can not spell

and what the feck is F--K? ;) :)

pamw
Official
Full Name: Pam White

Postby pamw » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:43 pm

Back in the dark ages when internets came from something called a 'modem' using some ancient magic called 'dial-up', one didn't always want to waste one's precious bandwidth sending full sentences... especially in chat rooms where the dreaded 'lag' was an ever present inconvenience....hence a universal set of abbreviations were developed by the early pioneers....

Ahhhh, those were the days..... As I recall we had a list of numbers to 'dial-up' with Leeds, Bradford or Harrogate dialling codes.... if the first was engaged, you tried the next one, and so on until you got a line.... try telling the youth of today that and they won't believe you.

(Licking the grit off the road and living in a box in't middle o't street was entirely optional)

LOL

:wink: :D
Archaeology - my career in ruins !

Return to “Member's Vehicles”